Bernard Moore Pleads Guilty in Victor Cullen Riot

FREDERICK – On January 15, 2019, Bernard Moore, one of the most violent offenders in the April 8th 2018 riot at the Victor Cullen Center in Sabillasville, pled guilty thus canceling his jury trial scheduled to begin later this month. Moore pled guilty to First Degree Assault on staff member and was sentenced to 20 years in the DOC with all suspended but 8 years to serve. Moore violently attacked the victim twice during the riot, using metal handcuffs to inflict harm, which left the victim with a broken jaw and head injuries at that time, and medical and dental issues that continue today. Moore also pled guilty to Second Degree Assault on the Superintendent of the facility, as well as, guilty to Riot. He was given a concurrent sentence of 10 years with all suspended but six months on those two charges. This sentence was agreed to by the State and the Defendant. Judge Theresa Adams presided over the case and before sentencing, read victim impact statements submitted by three employees. The State relayed additional information from a victim who couldn’t be present for the hearing. Eleven staff members were injured during the riot. Eight residents were charged with injuring staff during this riot, all to differing degrees; seven of the eight have now pled guilty for their roles in the riot.

The April 8, 2018 incident occurred at the Victor Cullen Center located on Cullen Drive, in Frederick County, MD. The Victor Cullen Center is a hardware secure, behavior modification facility that provides counseling, education and behavior modification for juveniles. The situation began between two youth residents and then escalated to youth refusing to comply with staff direction to separate. Staff attempted to work with the residents for over an hour before attempting to restrain them. When staff members walked in to begin restrain the residents and move them to the rooms, the Defendant Moore attacked the victim from behind, broke his jaw, and briefly knocked him unconscious. The other youths then began to attack the staff closest to them. Later, after escaping from that building, the victim approached to try and help another staff member who was being assaulted by Moore and co-defendant Daniel Ennos. Moore then attacked him again; this time punching him in the head while holding metal shackles. Multiple police agencies responded to the 911 calls for help from the staff. The Maryland State Police was able to get the facility back under control, and the victims were transported for medical treatment.

One defendant remains pending trial. The six other residents of the Victor Cullen Center were charged with riot and assaulting staff. All have pled guilty and are or have served sentences as adults.

The State was represented by Chief Assistant State’s Attorney Laura Corbett Wilt.

J. Charles Smith, III
State’s Attorney for Frederick County, Maryland